Our Lady of Czestochowa , or known simply as "The Black Madonna", is a revered icon of the Blessed Mother that is housed in Jasna Gora Monastery in Czestochowa, Poland, and is a great devotion among the Polish people and those of Polish descent. According to tradition, it was painted by St. Luke himself. From Wikipedia:
The difficulty in dating the icon stems from the fact that the original image was painted over, after being badly damaged by Hussite raiders in 1430. Medieval restorers unfamiliar with the encaustic method found that the paints they applied to the damaged areas "simply sloughed off the image" according to the medieval chronicler Risinius, and their solution was to erase the original image and to repaint it on the original panel, which was believed to be holy because of its legendary origin as a table top from the home of the Holy Family. The painting displays a traditional composition well known in the icons of Eastern Orthodoxy. The Virgin Mary is shown as the "Hodegetria" ("One Who Shows the Way"). In it the Virgin directs attention away from herself, gesturing with her right hand toward Jesus as the source of salvation. In turn, the child extends his right hand toward the viewer in blessing while holding a book of gospels in his left hand. The icon shows the Madonna in fleur-de-lys robes.
It is said to have arrived at the monastery of Jasna Gora in 1382 by the Duke of Opole. The image is credited with saving the monastery from a Swedish invasion in the 17th century, which turned the tide of the battle in favor of the Poles, so the image was crowned as "Queen and Protectress of Poland".
Bl. John Paul the Great being embraced by Our Mother of Czestochowa. This image was designed shortly after the attempted assassination.
It should also be mentioned that the image darkened by the use of incense and the burning of candles throughout the centuries, so the skin on Our Lady and Christ where much lighter at one time.